Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pneumonia

I went to a conference with Piper's teacher and the school psychologist yesterday afternoon. In January we will have a 504 committee meeting to put an IEP in place for Piper. Her learning needs and ADHD require that she be allowed unlimited time for test taking. This IEP will travel with her through her years of school. It will be especially valuable once she starts taking the state's standardized tests. At the end of the meeting, I was walking out to my car when I broke into a cold sweat. I started coughing and couldn't stop. Once I was in the car and the coughing had subsided, I got chills. I've had plugged ears for a few weeks now, and my ears have been hurting for the last several days. I always cough a lot when I have an ear infection. I figured I had let it go long enough, so I pulled out of the school and headed to urgent care to get my ears checked.

An hour later I walked out of urgent care with a clean bill of health for my ears and a wad of prescriptions in hand to treat acute sinusitis and pneumonia. What??? I was shocked at the diagnosis. The sinus infection wasn't shocking, but pneumonia? I didn't feel that bad! My cough was dry and not painful. But the doctor knew what he was talking about. He warned me that it would start to hurt, and that I could expect even to cough until I vomit. What??? I filled the prescriptions and went home.

This morning I realize that the doctor was indeed right. My chest hurts. I feel like there are bricks on it. My upper back hurts. A strong, non-narcotic cough medicine is easing the intensity of the coughing. But every tiny thing I do takes a massive amount of effort. Walking down the hall to the bathroom leaves me winded. Even eating breakfast required concerted effort. This is not fun, people. I have had some pretty intense sicknesses in my lifetime, so I try never to take my health for granted. But being bad sick is a good reminder of how wonderful it is to be healthy.

221. My Christmas shopping is completely done, so I can relax and get well without worrying about gifts.
222. An excellent urgent care clinic close to our house where I was able to walk in without an appointment
223. Medications to help me heal
224. That I got sick this week and not next week
225. Medications that will increase my comfort as I recover
226. Medications that will chase the pneumonia away. How many people throughout the span of time have died from this illness?
227. The other room moms for Bubbles' class who were willing to step in an take leadership of the class party at a moment's notice
228. A husband who can keep the household running while Mom is down for the count
229. The comfort of talking to my daddy on the phone last night. Sometimes a girl just wants her mom, and when Mom is gone, Daddy is the next best thing.
230. My general good health. I thank the Lord for a healthy body.

3 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Hope you are better soon.

Jasmine has unlimited time for the FCAT but still didn't pass any of the tests. I'm pretty sure she'll pass reading this year, but I do not expect her to ever pass math. Not cutting her down, but looking at her genetics and her mom's drug use, it's just the way it is.

Have a great Christmas

Stef said...

Oh my goodness, I hope you're well soon! Do try and get some rest.

acceptance with joy said...

Get well very soon!!