Saturday, March 14, 2009

Savoring Saturday

Ah yes, a good day! Finally! It is so nice to have a solid, good day! It was also a fairly ordinary day, filled with catching up the everything I couldn't do when I was sick...like 8 loads of laundry, grocery shopping, general tidying up, etc. I did take the time to savor 4 specific things today. Here they are, in no particular order.

1. Grocery shopping without children! This sweet delight was made possible by my friend Julia, to whom I am deeply grateful. I pushed a normal cart through the store, not one of the bulky, blue, 2-seater, mom-carts. I did not have to walk down the dead center of the aisle, because no little hands were grabbing at the shelves! I took my time and saved more money than usual. I even stopped at Sonic for a cherry limeade! It was lovely.

2. Making Debbie's birthday cupcakes with Snapper. Actually, Snapper made the cupcakes all by herself, with only a little bit of coaching from me! I savored the expressions on her face as I taught her how to separate the egg white from the egg yolk. How I wish I'd had the camera there to capture the looks of fascination and disgust as the egg whites slimed her fingers! It was priceless.

3. Spending 2 1/2 hours visiting with Julia in her living room when I went down to pick up the kids. There is not much in this world that is sweeter than a good chat with a like-minded friend. We are just getting to know each other, and I was delighted to find out how much we have in common. It will be fun to watch this friendship grow.

4. My muddy 2-year-old. Julia's husband has prepared a spot in their back yard for a garden. It is the perfect mudhole right now, and apparently was magnetic to Pepper. Oh, how I laughed when we went out to check on the kids, and found Pepper soaked and muddy from head to toe! I'm the kind of mom who likes to let my kids get good and dirty from time to time. I am savoring Pepper's little-boy ventures, and all the cuteness that comes as a result.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I know just what you mean when you described pushing the grocery cart in the middle of the aisle. Alone time in the grocery store is definitely something to be savored.