Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Praise Him in the Good TImes

My heart is soaring today! Three of my daughters carry heavy baggage from their years spent in hard places. For the last month two of them have been unpacking some of their baggage, which is a good thing, but manifests itself in some very difficult behavior. I've had some desperate nights where I've wondered if we'll ever make it through, if they'll ever be able to just go to sleep at night. Like the tide, the emotions and behaviors ebb and flow. Right now we're enjoying a peaceful phase, which is welcome after a very difficult week with Sunny last week. I'm feeling more rested and at ease than I have in quite some time. I thank Jesus for His blessings and for this much-needed period of peace in our home.

771. Five children tucked in on time, without tears, without fight, without excuses, without struggles
772. Five children peacefully asleep within minutes of getting into their beds
773. Amazing growth in the girls' ability to relax and focus for longer periods of time
774. 250 pages read out loud to the kids over the last three days
775. The kids' delight in the wonderful classic, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
776. Five children begging me not to stop reading after I had been reading for an hour! I must add that when we first got the girls in July, they could not sit and listen to even a short picture book!
777. Making a gallon of strawberry jam with Bubbles
778. A sweet play date with Sunny's BFF today
779. Pretty new potted plants on my front porch, given to us by a friend who is moving to Texas
780. That three of my five kids have fallen in love with reading on their own
781. Piper's desire to serve me today. She vacuumed the kitchen, living room, and dining room and cleaned the living room baseboards...just because she wanted to help Mommy!
782. A spectacular photo shoot with my kids yesterday. I dressed them up all pretty, did hair fancy, put makeup on the girls (they were delighted!), and took glamour shots of them. I never post photos of Piper, Bubbles, and Sunny because this blog is public and they come from a dangerous past. But I will post my favorite of Snapper and Pepper. Snapper's was more glamour, and Pepper's was just plain fun!



783. The luxury of taking a 30-minute nap today
784. Roast beef in the crock pot
785. Italian Sweet Cream coffee creamer BOGO at Winn Dixie today
786. Finding out my (due in June) niece's beautiful name!
787. Hearing my kids genuinely fighting over who loves me most
788. My two notorious-for-bickering kids deciding in the car today that they would rather play together than pick on each other. Wonder of wonders!
789. Bubbles' innocent question: "Mommy, what kind of animal do strawberries come from?"
790. Four of my kids parading around the house wearing underwear over their pants and on their heads...and being willing to pose for the camera!!!

LAUGHTER IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL!

In other interesting notes, Snapper woke me up from my nap today by gently playing with my hair, which is my very favorite thing in the whole wide world. But then she started plucking the "silver" hairs that she found. At last count (in the fall) I had five of them just above my left temple. Today she pulled out 30 of them from all over my head. At 30 plucked hairs I told her she was fighting a losing battle, and to just let them be. My kids are apparently affecting my hair follicles...

It's a good thing I'm not sensitive about growing older. Gray hair and wrinkles are a part of life. I'll do my best to wear them gracefully. And no, dear Snapper and Bubbles, I am not planning on coloring my hair. LOL!

No comments: