Friday, August 22, 2008

He Aims to Please: An Addendum

Our potty catastrophe day marches on.

After our fun poop incident, I left Pepper's pants off, as he had soiled his last clean pair of shorts. He spent about 30 minutes running naked around the living room, making occassional stops at the potty. I thoroughly enjoyed watching my little nude boy carrying my purse around, laughing, and just generally being really cute.

And then he perched himself on the windowsill in the living room, my purse on the floor below his feet. I wish I'd had my camera out to capture how adorable he looked sitting there, looking out the window. I happily began to fix the image in my eternal memory. And then Pepper says, "Uh-oh, Mama! UH-OH!"

And wouldn't you know it, the little stinker was peeing...INTO MY PURSE!

I know he didn't do it on purpose. And his frantic little "uh-ohs" were so comical. For a fleeting moment I was tempted to get upset, slap a diaper on his cute little bottom, and put him in his bed. But that idea flew out of my mind as quickly as it had entered. And I had to laugh. He really tries so hard to make it to the potty, and he's usually so successful. I decided to grant him some grace and remember that this phase will be over in the blink of an eye.

I'm thankful for the children God has given to me, and I'm determined to enjoy their childhoods, poor aim or not!

2 comments:

Stef said...

Aww, that's so cute! You were quite lucky with Whitney. I haven't known too many kids that are so easy.
Jackson at least has an interest and doesn't like sitting in it. :) Ethan never showed an interest, so right before he turned 3, we informed him he was going to be interested. :)

Sounds like you're taking the right approach; calm and relaxed. He'll enjoy it more.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Lori said...

Wow - that story is a keeper! You will really be able to embarrass him someday with that one. :)