Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Back to School Traditions, Part 1

My bloggy friend Michelle wrote a great post talking about back-to-school traditions. Since Snapper is starting school tomorrow, I thought I'd use Michelle's post as a jumping off point for a post of my own. I don't remember any back-to-school traditions when I was a kid. That's primarily because I was homeschooled. I was always excited to start school, but there was never any meeting a new teacher, wondering who was in my class, or shopping for supplies and clothes. So I'm a total newbie when it comes to back-to-school traditions. But if you've been following my blog for a while, you know that I'm a sucker for traditions, and look for every way possible to infuse my children's lives with tradition. I believe it helps ground them, gives them security, and strengthens our family's identity.

The first tradition I've started is taking pictures of Snapper within the week before she starts a new grade. We're now on our fourth year of these pre-school pictures, and it is really fun to look at the pictures to see how she has grown and changed each year. I also get a list of her favorite things.

Here are the pictures from the last 4 years!

Second Grade, August 2009



First Grade, August 2008



Kindergarten, August 2007



Pre-K, August 2006




Tomorrow Snapper will start 2nd grade at a new school and Pepper will begin his first year of preschool! I have to get pre-school pictures of Pepper today. He has been so contrary and grumpy recently! I tried to take his pictures yesterday when I did Snapper's, but he would have none of it. Mr. Grumpy Gills! Today I may just have to bribe him with ice cream...

The first day of school has its traditions, too. But I will hold off and save that for tomorrow. I'm always on the hunt for fun ideas I can implement with my family. Please leave me a comment and tell me your favorite back-to-school tradition, whether from your childhood, or something you do with your kids.

7 comments:

Becky said...

I always do a first and last picture. The first day of school and the last day, so we can see how much they've grown that year.

Kristin said...

We always take a picture on the front steps on the morning of the first school day. Dinner that first night is always a celebration. Also, since I collect teacups and pots, and have a lot of tea parties with my girls, I give them a new teacup for their own collection at the end of the first week of school. We also shop for a new first day outfit - that is always fun!

My name is Stacie... said...

We do first day of school pictures of the front porch. It's fun to watch the kids grow in the same position each year. The kids also always come home to a fresh-baked treat on first day of school. Usually chocolate chip cookies. I'm taking the afternoon off of work tomorrow to make sure that the tradition continues even though I'm working.

Lori said...

Great reminder to get my camera out, even though our first day at school will take place here! Love the pictures and how she's grown - she's lovely.

The Yorks said...

I love this post about Back to School traditions! I never thought about it before, but as a child and then as a teacher, we always had a special dinner after the first day of school where we'd talk about our goals and hopes for that year and then the same meal on the last day of school talking about the year's highlights and just reminisce. Oh, how I miss back to school....I think.

Michelle said...

Cant wait to read more. Your daughter is SOOO cute!!

Tara said...

She is absolutely beautiful and I love the idea of taking the pictures. We had 'traditions' when I was growing up but nothing formal really. I am like you in that I'm trying to start new ones with Andrew such as getting an engraved Christmas ornament every year and taking a picture of him hanging it. Ok, so that wasn't school related.