Saturday, September 24, 2011

Thinking About Christmas

I've been crunching the numbers, and our Christmas budget is going to be very small this year. In all reality, it is probably even too small to do Black Friday shopping. I am going to have to get creative. Oh wait...I already am creative! And this year I have a new friend. Its name is Pinterest. Have you discovered this amazing networking tool yet? Pinterest is my new best friend. It allows people to share links to things they like. This ranges from suggested reading lists, to recipes, to home decorating ideas, to CRAFTS! I am all about the crafts, and I have two amazing friends here in Orlando who are just as creative and crafty as I am.

Browsing Pinterest tonight got me thinking a lot about Christmas, and all the people I usually have to shop for. I have 3 nephews, 4 nieces, and two more nieces on the way. And then I have several young cousins that I love to send gifts to. And then there our siblings...9 between Matt and me. Don't forget our parents. And our grandparents. And the kids' teachers. And Snapper's swim coaches. And our wonderful friends. I have never done elaborate gifts, but even when I buy simple and on sale, it still really adds up.

So...

I am sticking my neck out here and making the bold, brave (or stupid) decision to make all of my Christmas gifts this year, with the exception of Christmas jammies and stocking stuffers. I will make everything else. I am super excited at the prospect. I will still have to buy all the materials, but by shopping the sales and using coupons, I am very confident my budget will be in much better shape than if I were buying everything ready-made.

Did I mention I love crafting? This will be an awesome challenge for my creative juices, and I can't wait to see what I come up with.

Tracie and Micael, I challenge you to join me on this!

1 comment:

Stef said...

this is a good idea, Em! I have some friends that took the homemade route for their whole family, several years back and they loved it! I think its more creative and thoughtful too. Especially nowadays when all it takes is a glance and a click on Amazon and its done ;-)

I decided to make Christmas treats (fancy ones) for our friends and family here. I found a recipe for macaroons and other types of elaborate cookies I don't normally make and I thought it would be fun and different. We shall see :)

But good for you! You'll have to share (after Christmas) what you made - that's always fun to hear. I saw a bunch of your pins tonight and could've liked them ALL :)