Tuesday, September 1, 2009

What I've Learned

It has been a while since I linked in to the What I've Learned carnival at Musings of A Housewife. I think it is time to get back to it!

What I've Learned This Week

1. I am SO out of shape! Yes, I really learned that. I thought I was in much better shape than I really am. Depressing.

2. Getting back in shape is much easier and more fun when you are working out with a friend. Every morning after I drop Snapper off at school, I meet up with my friend Karon. We walk the hills around her house some days, and the other days we do Pilates. I am already noticing improvement in my stamina and muscle tone! Woot!

3. Learning enough html to build a blog template is very time-consuming. Not dreadfully difficult, but definitely eats the time. Just ask my husband.

4. Keeping a secret for a long time is hard for me! (No wisecracks, family members who might be reading this!) My birthmom is coming out here in 9 days! Her visit is a surprise birthday present for Snapper. We will go to the airport next Thursday after Snapper gets out of school. She won't know who is coming until she sees Nana come walking out through security! Am I excited? Oh yes! How many times have I almost slipped and said something to Snapper about the visit? At least 10 times. I'm amazed the secret is still a secret!

5. This is the most important thing I learned this week. It is worth a little bit of time and effort to put together a character growth celebration for your kids. Since honoring Snapper on Saturday for her growth in Wisdom and Courage, she has stepped up even more in those areas. The same is true for Pepper! More to come on this later. I think I'll post the recipe for a superhero celebration day!

8 comments:

melaniet42 said...

What a very neat idea about celebrating character growth! Too frequently we forget about those achievements in favor of the easier to spot "tasks". Way to go!

Anonymous said...

What a great post, thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful visit!

Here's mine!

http://jenssimplepleasures.wordpress.com/2009/09/01/what-i-learned-this-weekseptember-1st/

Lana said...

Love the new look! It looks great!

Girly Stuff is having a fave things linky - your list would be great on that as well. :)

I'm glad you liked the football post! I hope I used the correct terminology.

Blessings to you!

Lori said...

I'm excited to learn about the character building! Try and keep the secret for the next 9 days - that will be such an awesome surprise!!

About Southern Belle said...

Oh, I hear you on being out of shape, but thanks to your post I am encouraged to workout today...so thanks!

Just curious, do you celebrate character growth weekly? As a mommy of three little ones I am interested in learning more on how to encourage by sons to choose wisely and make good decisions.

Alison said...

I hear you on being out of shape. I stopped going to the gym over the summer and boy, can I tell how much strength I lost! No more quitting for three months.

Have a great time visiting with your birthmom!

Goat Gal said...

I am totally interested in hearing more about the Character growth. I am just getting back inot running and I am so out of shape as well :)

Musings of a Housewife said...

Okay, so #4 is SO exciting!!!! ANd #3, yeah, but it's fun. ;-) And I like the new look! Very clean. :-)