Friday, December 19, 2008

Traditions: Part 2

COOKIES!!!

My Auntie Maggie is the Christmas cookie queen.
My mom also baked several different kinds of cookies every Christmas.
When my mom passed away, I got to go through her cookbooks, and her Christmas Cookies book was one that I grabbed right away.
Each Christmas I have made cookies for our neighbors, in hopes that something sweet will help me get to know them better. In past Christmases, though, I have only made cookie for the neighbors in our cul-de-sac that I have met, which is about 8 of them. This year, I took on a bigger challenge: to make one dozen cookies for each of the 19 other houses on our street. I met many of the others during the whole theft crisis on our street back in October. So anyhoo, today was cookie day, and here's what I made:

8 dozen peppermint sandies (mom's recipe)
6 dozen sugar cookies (Karon Whitmore's recipe)
4 dozen chocolate butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats
5 dozen cappuccino flats

Still to come (tomorrow):

4 dozen sugar cookies
4 dozen gingerbread men
6 dozen snickerdoodles (Matt's favorites)

On Sunday:
We'll frost the sugar cookies and gingerbread men, and divide the cookies into bowls to take to the neighbors.

That will cover all the neighbors, and leave plenty for our family and any visitors we might have in the next week. I love baking, and I feel so satisfied!



1 comment:

Stef said...

this post made my mouth water... YUM.
I love your mixer. I've never seen a red one!