Friday, February 20, 2009

Road Warriors

As I type, I am comfortably settled in our hotel suite in North Carolina. We have 2 bedrooms, a kitchenette, a bathroom, and a living room. Wow! It is so nice and beautiful and relaxing! We have this set-up so that Matt can host little welcome sessions for pastors and group coordinators at the event this weekend without having to pay the hotel for the use of another conferene room. It is so good to be on the road, yet have a place entirely of our own in which to relax. Matt and I have a king-sized bed in our room, while Snapper and Pepper each have a double bed in their room. When we arrived last night, we crashed. Weary road warriors.

We drove straight through from Arkansas to Concord yesterday. That's a lot of miles. We borrowed a second portable dvd player (thanks, Anne!), so that each child could watch their own movies. It worked like a charm! The kids were amazing on the trip, even though it was 16 hours from home to hotel. I'm so relieved...

We went and visited Beverly this afternoon. She is doing really well! Her steroids are pretty well balanced, and she is getting around the house on her own. On Monday, though, she found out that reducing her steroids is not an option. When the doctors dropped her dosage, the Graft vs. Host Disease flared up and landed her in the hospital for 3 days. Now though, after bumping the steroids back up a bit, she's doing great. Today was the first time for the kids to meet her, and they loved her, of course. I think Snapper is going to be a nurse someday. The nurturer in her kicked in, and without any prompting from me, she tucked blankets in around Bev, walked close and held Bev's arm any time Bev would go anywhere, and kept offering to do little things to help her. It was sweet. Pepper was his adorable, charming self, giving "Bedavee" lots of hugs.

Now we're back at the hotel. The kids are just waking up from a 3-hour nap. Should make for a much more pleasant evening. The three of us are heading back to Bev's house for the evening while Matt's event kicks off. I must say, he looks undeniably HOT in his black pants, new black shoes, and new designer LifeChange staff shirt. Hee hee! Tomorrow will be spent with Bev. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

As a side note--this afternoon I bought tickets for the September 6th NASCAR race in Atlanta!!!!! Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me! No, it is not my birthday. But the race will fall on my birthday weekend, and is, therefore, my 30th birthday present! Counting the days...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Em, let me know if you will have any extra time in Atlanta in Sept...we could meet up somewhere for a little bit!