Monday, November 9, 2015

Thankful, Days 7, 8, 9

Day 7: I'm thankful for all things crafty. I love to make things. Whether it's sewing, quilting, embroidery, decoupage, woodworking, painting, scrapbooking, papercrafting, crocheting, or other random crafts, I love it all. I do not like papier mache and I do not like anything with chalk. But other than that, I love it all. Crafting gives me a a creative outlet for expressing my love of beautiful things. I never keep what I make...I make everything to give to someone I love. I have three projects in process right now. I'm making burnt wood ornaments for my nieces and nephews for Christmas. I'm crocheting a doll blanket for Sweet Pea for Christmas. I'm working on a year-end piece for our ministry partners. I love to be creative.

Day 8: I'm thankful for the graduate class I'm taking. It's a seminary course on the history of Christianity. We're not studying key figures, events, or dates like I thought we would when I signed up for the class. We're studying original source documents written by the great theologians who helped shape Christianity from the time of Christ until the Reformation. It has rocked the way I think about a number of things about my faith, particularly the way I view God's "bigness" (for lack of a better term) and the weight of my own sin. It has also has grown my mind as I've had to learn how to read an understand documents that are absolutely NOT the style I like to read. I've come to love them...something I didn't think was possible. I greatly appreciate the freedom I have to worship God by engaging in study about Him.

Day 9: I'm thankful for the beautiful pottery mug my step-mom gave me for my birthday, and the good coffee that fills it every morning. For many years I admired a set of mugs that Nancy had--made by a potter friend of hers--and I had told her that if she ever needed a gift idea for me, that she should have the potter make me a mug like hers. That friend has retired, so Nancy sent me one of her mugs for my birthday. I just love it because it is a sweet reminder of my dear step-mom who loves me so much. Once a month Matt buys two pounds of really good coffee from a local coffee roaster who sells at the farmer's market. That really good coffee always helps me start my day on a good note.

No comments: