Friday, November 6, 2015

Day 6: Thankful

This afternoon Bubbles has a doctor's appointment. It's her 11-year-old well visit. In the last 3 1/2 years since we adopted our three girls, we've had more doctor's appointments than I can count. I am SO THANKFUL for the incredible group of doctors who have cared for the many needs of these girls.

Bubbles has been in the care of an endocrinologist. Her little body responded to the safety, love, and proper nutrition and care of being in our family by growing rapidly. By rapidly, I mean that she grew 11 inches and gained 30 pounds in 20 months. It tricked her body into thinking she was in puberty at 8 years old. Dr. S has worked with us through this and we got Bubbles slowed down to a healthier growth pattern. Now, at 11, her body can do what it is supposed to do. Bubbles has also had sleep studies done for sleep and breathing issues, has been cared for by and ENT, and had to have her tonsils and adenoids removed. Each doctor, nurse, and office staff person has been gentle, careful, and kind.

Piper's medical issues are the most complex. She has had two oral surgeries, due to never seeing a toothbrush for the first five years of her life. She has had her tonsil and adenoids removed, but continues to have issues with sinus swelling and unresolved congestion. No allergies, fortunately. She also has mini seizures. We've been working closely with a fabulous neurologist, but as of yet have not been able to capture the seizure activity on EEG.

Sunny is overall the most complex. We see a child psychiatrist for Sunny's mental health needs. His thoughtful, thorough care has had a huge impact not just on Sunny, but on all of us who live with Sunny and her illness. A lifetime of daily bouts of rage--with full blast screaming, sometimes for hours--has damaged Sunny's voice. On Monday she's seeing an ENT to scope her vocal chords.

Bubbles and Piper have a therapist that they seen as needed, which is rare anymore. They adore MJ and are very comfortable talking with her. Snapper and Pepper have seen her a few times, too.

All six kids have a pair of amazing pediatricians. They have been willing to squeeze us into a full schedule so my more timid kids don't have to experience the upset of seeing a doctor they don't know and trust. They have advocated for my kids, both medically and educationally. They have given me their personal call phone numbers in case I had an emergency. They care for us so well.

I write all of this to make it crystal clear why I am so thankful for this team. They have--time and again--gone far above what I would expect of them to make sure that my children's needs are being met. They've hugged me and let me cry when I've been going through tough stuff. Because there's been a lot of tough stuff the last 3 1/2 years. They've called me to check on me and to encourage me.

SO THANKFUL.

No comments: