Monday, April 16, 2012

Gluten Free Strawberry Pie

Last week I went to the local berry farm and picked approximately 20 pounds of strawberries. Most of them were promptly turned into the most delicious jam. Another basket wound up as an after school snack for the kids. And then there was pie. I'm having great success with gluten free baking! I tackled cutout sugar cookies last week and you never would have known they were gluten free. I decided to be brave and make a strawberry pie. There is nothing like a strawberry pie that is made from berries that were picked only a couple of hours prior. This pie was fabulous! I forgot to take a photo until I had already started eating the last piece, so the end crust here is MIA...on its way into my tummy. Oh, was it good!


Gluten Free Strawberry Pie
(I modified the recipe because I didn't have all the ingredients or a food processor. This recipe is the way I made it, and it was quite excellent).

Preheat the oven to 375.

In my Kitchen Aid, I combined:
2/3 cup white rice flour
1/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup millet flour
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
Mix on low to combine.

Using the wire whip on the Kitchen Aid, I turned it on to a 3 while I added 1 stick of butter, cut into thin slices. Mix until it resembles coarse meal.

Add one egg and mix until completely combined. It should be a sticky dough.

Lightly flour a piece of waxed paper and your ball of dough. Gently work the dusting of flour into the dough with your fingers until the dough holds together and is no longer sticky. Place the ball of dough on the floured waxed paper. Using your fingertips, press the dough into a 10-inch circle. Use the rolling pin to finish off the circle. Turn your 9-inch pie pan upside-down onto the dough. I had my husband help me hold the waxed paper tight and we flipped the dough and pan over together. Press the pie crust down into the pan with the wax paper still on. Gently remove the wax paper. Crimp or cut the edges. Prick the bottom and sides of the crust with a fork. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the crust is firm and lightly browned.

While the pie is baking, make your pie filling.

Crush enough strawberries to make 2 cups of strawberry puree.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix:
2 cups strawberry puree
3/4 cup sugar

In a small bowl, dissolve 1 Tbsp. cornstarch in 1 cup of water. Add to strawberry mixture and cook until slightly thickened, about 1 minutes.

Wash and stem enough strawberries to fill the bottom of the pie crust. Pour the strawberry filling over the strawberries in the pie crust. Chill until set, about 2 hours. 

Enjoy!!!

No comments: