Thursday, October 20, 2011

Awana Funny

When I was a kid, I have the privilege of participating in Awana at a local church. In case you're not familiar with it, Awana is a weekly Bible club for children. Kids work through a handbook, memorizing Bible verses and touching on important theological principles. They hear a Bible lesson, earn awards, and play fast-paced, exciting games. It is a great program, and I am thankful for how it grounded me in my faith when I was a child. My kids are in Awana now, and they love it as much as I did. This week as they were working on the memory verses, they said a couple of funny things that I don't want to forget.

One of Snapper's verses was Luke 12:6-7.
Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid! You are worth more than many sparrows.


Snapper had learned the verse well, but she had a mental lapse when we were reviewing the verse on our way to Awana. She got to the last sentence and instead of You are worth more than many sparrows, she said, "You are worth more than a bunch of pigeons!"

HA HA HA!

Pepper's verses this week were John 3:14-16. John 3:14 says, Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up.


Pepper announced to me that this is his favorite verse in the Bible. Why? Because it has a snake in it, of course! He repeats that verse over and over every afternoon when he gets home from school, emphasizing the word snake.

HA HA HA!

Pepper has also been learning the books of the New Testament. We have a fun song that helps, and Pepper loves to sing the song. He sings it over...and over...and over. Between the song and the snake verse, I'm definitely getting my Bible exposure daily this week. Last night on the way to Awana, Matt and I started using our hands as puppets to lip sync to Pepper's New Testament books song as Pepper sang it. Pepper thought that was the funniest thing he has ever seen. He laughed hysterically, still trying to sing. He laughed until he was snorting and crying, and all the rest of us were laughing along with him. This is one of those memories that will stay at the forefront of my mind when I remember Pepper at this age.

No comments: