Monday, September 20, 2010

Monday Morning Laugh

One of the coolest things about living in Florida is that there are all sorts of new birds to get acquainted with. Our favorite so far is the Sandhill Crane. They stand about 4 feet tall and make the most obnoxious noise! There is a pair of them living in our neighborhood, and I never get tired of watching them. We have named them Inigo and Halulu. Inigo means "fiery," which fits his big-bird-with-attitude personality. Halulu means "roaring, loud." And it is a load roar she makes when she flies squawking over our house at 6 in the morning! This morning Matt called me to get my camera and come outside. Inigo and Halulu were on our front lawn...with our cats, Pixie and Zoe. I'll let my photos tell the story.

 The cats were enamored with the big birds in the yard.

Pixie just wanted to be friends with Inigo. She should have known better than to tangle with fire!

Oh, how I wish I'd activated sport mode on my camera! After receiving a powerful peck on the noggin, Pixie abruptly changed her mind about developing this friendship.

Zoe watched Inigo and Halulu from a respectful distance. I think her mind was more on dinner than on friendship.

Zoe is our faithful watch cat. She chases away dogs of all sizes.

We figured she would chase Halulu, too.

But when Halulu began her charge, Zoe thought better of it and made her escape.

It has been a half an hour since the front yard drama, and I am still laughing!

6 comments:

Tara said...

That is so funny! Y'all definitely picked the perfect names for the cranes. They are tall! Obviously they are not cat friendly but are they people friendly? I sure wouldn't be trying to get up, close and personal with them. I have a feeling the cats won't either from now on. Love the action shot!!

Thanks for the FB tag - such a cool picture!

E. Charlotte said...

Oh I love it! What a great story captured in pictures. Those birds are HUGE! That would be hard for me to get used to!

About Southern Belle said...

LOL. I think cats think they are bigger and more powerful than they are.

Stef said...

this gave me SUCH a good laugh!!!! What a hilarious sighting for Monday morning. Or ANY morning! :)

Lori said...

Great action shots! :)

Vicki said...

So funny!! :)
- Vicki