Thursday, September 9, 2010

Culinary Bliss

I have a sinus infection. No, it has nothing to do with the culinary part of this post. Eww!!! Moving on. So, I have a sinus infection, and this one has totally nailed me. I don't have much pain, which is good, but I'm so completely out of it. On the way home from Snapper's swim team practice tonight, I got lost going a route I have been driving daily for two weeks. I found myself out on some back road, and I had no clue where the heck I was. What I would have done without my GPS, I don't know. Okay...yeah. But this morning I had planned on putting ham and potatoes in the crock pot to simmer all day. At 3:00 this afternoon I realized I had forgotten to put the ham and potatoes in the crock pot, and they are an 8-hour recipe. So we decided on Plan B and we were going to have my yummy guacamole with chips, veggies, and cheese. On the way home from swim team, I called Matt and asked him to start the guacamole for me. When I got home, there was a red onion in the blender and avocado residue on the counter, but nothing else. Turns out the avocados had gone bad. Ever smelled a rotten avocado? Trust me, you don't want to. Ever! Because of Snapper's swim team schedule, every dinner on my meal plan this week is a crock pot meal. I had no meat defrosted, and no quick recipe to whip up for kids who were hungry right now. So we threw everyone in the car and decided to try the little Thai and sushi place by our house.

10,000 lip-smacking, belly-rubbing yums can't even begin to describe how good it was! Turns out massama curry might just be my very favorite food. Why have I not tried it before tonight? 31 good years that I could have been eating this masterpiece of savory, sweet, and spice--wasted! Wasted on boring food. I stuffed myself so full that 3 hours later, I am still uncomfortable. I usually eat half a meal and enjoy the leftovers for lunch the next day. But tonight that giant dish of glorious massama curry didn't stand a chance, even though it turned me into the Michelin Tire Man for the rest of the evening. I just could not stop eating until it was all gone. And you know what is even better? It cleared out my sinuses enough that I was able think clearly enough to help Snapper with the mental arithmetic subtraction worksheet she had to do tonight. Nice! So three cheers for the new little Thai place, my first really awesome Orlando restaurant. Most definitely culinary bliss!

2 comments:

momto5minnies said...

I've had a few of those mishap dinner nights too. Sounds like the dinner selection was just the perfect answer for you and your sinuses.

Kit said...

Oh yum! Sounds sooo good. I am like that at a restaurant here in town called the Mustard Seed. I go for the shrimp fried rice and wontons and can't walk the rest of the day. Glad you found a new hang-out! Kit