I said at the conclusion of my last post that I would talk a bit about Pepper's year, and how he has grown and changed. Today was his 3-year check-up. He weighs in at 28 pounds, a whopping 20th percentile. On the other side of the chart, he hit the 95th percentile at 3'4" tall. The doctor was very pleased by the weight gain. Until this appointment, Pepper has never landed higher than the 5th percentile in weight. He's kind of picky, and doesn't have a great appetite, so I've always been a bit concerned at how thin he is. The doctor was not concerned at all, just recommended that we give him whole milk for the next year to add some extra fat and calories to his diet.
Pepper's Favorites in the Last Year
Food: "Mac'n'cheesaroni," cereal, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, popsicles, apple juice
Animal: Cows and cats
Movie: Shrek, The Incredibles, Cars, Wallace and Gromit, Star Wars
Book: Mickey and the Beanstalk
Toy: Chocolate bear, rainbow bear, flashlights, any kind of sword or gun, Buzz Lightyear doll
Best Friend: Isaiah B
Other Pepper Facts
1. Pepper is not a people person. He prefers to be with Mommy, Daddy, and Snapper, and would rather be home than anywhere else.
2. He would rather play with older children, and tends to ignore kids his own age.
3. Swimming is one of Pepper's favorite activities. He wears a suit with foam blocks in it which help him stay afloat. He kicks well and scoots around the pool on his tummy and on his back. He is not bothered by getting his face and ears wet!
4. Other favorite activities include watching movies, jumping on the trampoline, playing in his sandbox, cuddling our kitties, dressing up in Snapper's clothes and shoes, taking baths, and throwing anything and everything.
5. Pepper reached some great milestones this year. He was potty trained 2 months before his 3rd birthday. He memorized Ephesians 6:1, Psalm 23:1, and Ephesians 4:32 this year. He graduated from using a sippy cup to using a regular cup! Thanks to the refrigerator agnet set, he learned all his letters and sounds this year! He also knows his colors. He can ride a bike with training wheels. He is able to dress and undress himself. In fact, he is very particular about his clothing, and has a better sense of color and style than does Snapper!
6. One of my favorite things about Pepper is his sweet singing voice. He carries a tune beautifully, and speaks more words together in song than any other time.
7. Time out is the most effective form of discipline for Pepper. He needs the time to sit quietly and process what he did wrong. Spankings don't seem to bother him a bit.
8. Daddy has become Pepper's hero and main comfort person this year. I knew it would come, and I'm so glad it has. I still enjoy that Pepper is a cuddler, and he loves Mommy time. But nothing is sweeter than seeing my son follow and copy his daddy's every move.
9. Pepper and Snapper have a very sweet relationship. Sure, they bicker and frustrate each other like all siblings do. But most of the time, they are very close buddies. Pepper tries to protect his big sister. And big sister enjoys helping and caring for her little brother.
10. I have no doubts that Pepper is a healthy boy with male hormones. He is fascinated by female anatomy and often makes his thoughts loudly known. I know, TMI, but it is pretty funny, and I wanted to write it down so I won't forget later.
I am so thankful God blessed us with Pepper. He has a definite propensity to find and make trouble. He is into EVERYTHING! But he has a tender, compassionate heart, and is receptive to the Word of God. He is cheerful, has a great sense of humor, and a delightful, easy-going personality. He is loved by everyone who knows him. Thank you, Jesus, for choosing this child to be part of our family. I love you, my spicy Pepper boy!
Pepper, 1 day old
First Family Photo
Mommy's baby boy
Little pumpkin, 3 months old
6 months old
Begin birthday tradition! First birthday
One year old
18 months old
Two years old
2 1/2 years old
3 years old