Saturday, February 13, 2010

This Is My Weekend

I really enjoy weekends that have nothing on the calendar that involves leaving the house (except for church, which is a given). On my schedule for this weekend:

Saturday

1. Stage the upstairs. My sis-in-law moved out of our house and into her own apartment this week. Now it's time to rearrange furniture and get this house back to its normal family-of-four state.

2. Complete the gift I'm making for Matt for Valentine's Day. It should have been finished today, but I majorly messed up on part of it, and now I have to go back and fix it. I don't believe in spending a lot of money on this very commercial holiday. Instead, I always try to make something special for my honey, and spend no more than $10 on each child. This year's project is very simple, and should be very meaningful for him. Since he reads my blog, you'll have to wait until Monday to hear what it is.

3. Sand and prime the bathroom cabinets in both upstairs bathrooms.

4. Paint the living room baseboards so Matt can put them up.

5. Encourage Matt to finish our bathroom tile so he can start the tile in the other bathroom. We have two families coming to look at the house next week, so time is of the essence.

6. Make dinner for some friends who just had a new baby.

Sunday

1. After eating heart-shaped pancakes with strawberries, whipped cream, and red sprinkles, we will go to church. First hour Sunday School, then work in Pepper's class second hour. We work once every five weeks.

2. Make poppyseed chicken to eat for lunch, and give our small gifts to the kids. Snapper is getting a $5 craft kit, a $1 box of chocolates, a new chapstick, and a red heart balloon. Pepper is getting a $5 tin Buzz Lightyear lunch box (because I'm tired of watching him carry his sister's Sleeping Beauty lunchbox), a new chapstick, a Toy Story Pez dispenser, and a silver balloon. Both kids will get love notes from Mommy and Daddy, too.

3. Paint my nails blue and yellow, tie my blue and yellow ribbons on my ponytail, put on my Jimmie Johnson pants, t-shirt, sweatshirt, and hat. Get cozy on the couch with a cold Coke Zero and my Jimmie Johnson blanket. Sit like a log on the couch for 4+ hours and scream for Jimmie Johnson as he kicks off NASCAR season in the Daytona 500.

4. Make a brief appearance at community group, if my race ends early enough. This is the one race that I insist on watching live.

5. Put the children to bed.

6. Cook dinner with my hubby, and enjoy a quiet, candlelight meal in our pretty kitchen. We have spent Valentine's Day this way for the last 2 years, and it is the best way to go. This year we are having grilled salmon with dijon cream sauce, steamed artichokes with garlic aioli sauce, garlic mashed red potatoes, a fruit (strawberries and grapes) and cheese plate, and dessert (yet to be decided). We exchange our small gifts after dinner, and spend focused time talking about us. Not about the kids. Not about work. About Matt and me. Love it!

What are you doing this weekend?

1 comment:

Stef said...

Wow, Em!! This made me tired. I especially liked the part about Skipper carrying his sister's lunchbox to school :)

My weekend looks nothing like yours. Its WIDE open. My MOMS club does Secret Valentines and so I need to run out tomorrow and put mine together and then deliver it (in secret) to my friend's porch.

Then there's church on Sunday...

That's all! :)